Sunday, June 25, 2006
Midsummer Night's blog post
Happy Summer Solstice to everyone out there who I know and don't know but would like to know...and well, you get it.
My life is nothing special, so I will give you, my lovelies, a poem I like to share every year or so. I reflects a very wise and judicious philosophy.
Once upon a time
In a land far away
A beautiful independent
Happened upon a frog as she sat,
Contemplating ecological issues
On the shores of an unpolluted pond.
In a verdant meadow near her castle,
the frog hopped into the princess's lap
and said: Elegant lady,
I was once a handsome prince,
Until an evil witch cast a spell upon me.
On kiss from you, however,
And I will turn back
Inot the dapper young prince that I am;
And then, my sweet, we can marry,
And set up housekeeping in your castle
With my mother,
Where you can prepare my meals,
Clean my clothes, bear my children,
And forever feel grateful and happy doing so.
As the princess dined sumptuously
on a repast of lightly sauteed frogs' legs,
Seasoned in a white wine
And onion cream sauce,
She chuckled and said softly to herself,
I don't fuckin' think so.
Merry Meet, ya'll!
meg did this @ 5:06 PM
Thursday, May 25, 2006
Bare Naked Ladies Make Me Smile
That's the group I'm talking about,'k?
Every dog has his day....
Now you too can have a reason to smile today (yousentit link below)
If I had A Million Dollars
And yes, I was listening to Come On Eileen earlier. :)
meg did this @ 2:16 PM
As you fine people may recall, in May 2001 we packed up and moved ourselves back to Houston (which is an abject lesson in never saying 'never') because Joel got this job offer that was almost too good to believe. Turns out it was. At Enron.
Six months later he was unemployed.
...everybody has to pay.
Ok, am I the ONLY person in the world who remembers that old country song Waterloo?
Needless to say, we are all relieved to know those jerks arn't going to get away with their shit and my mother-in-law IMed me to tell me that Ken Lay even had to put up 5 billion dollars in bond and they took both his and Skilling's passports. Take that you suckers!!!!!
meg did this @ 1:53 PM
Friday, May 19, 2006
A Scarce and Rare Thing
As the weather gets nicer around here FINALLY, you will see less of me. I know...if you saw me less I'd disappear. Think about it. :)
Anyway, it's this time of year when a girl's heart turns to hiking, BBQing, shopping outdoors at flea markets and a general malaise to do nothing but read on the deck. I've lived through a winter so long I thought I was a bear and now I deserver the gorgeousness that is Colorado in the Summer.
So, I'll pop in when I remember to, but you all pretty much know how to reach me if you need me.
Oh, and here's a little cooking tip for you. A whole bulb of garlic? Too much for a batch of pesto. Believe me.
meg did this @ 10:16 AM
Sunday, May 14, 2006
Happy Mother's Day to the Women in my Life
To my Mom, who I must have gotten my strength and stubborness of will from, because it had to come from somewhere and I've seen it in her many times. You're quite the inspiration to me, lady.
To my sister, who did a helluva job raising her kids and should be so proud of what she's gone through to get where she is. Strong women definitely run in this family.
To all my Aunts and cousins who are moms in one way or another, I'm so lucky to have found such a wonderful family when most people are losing theirs. It was purely miracle.
To my freinds, I have so much respect for a woman who can bring a child into this world and raise it and love it and not just totally freak the fuck out. I would.
Love and best wishes to you all.
meg did this @ 9:27 AM
Sunday, April 30, 2006
I'd rather be grey than green
About a year ago, a friend on LJ posted a link that analyzed beauty products based on their safety. I decided then to stop coloring my hair and for most of the past 9 months or so have been really grooving to the [cool] grey in my almost black hair.
Then I started getting really tired of looking at it in the mirror each morning, mostly because it didn't go at all with my saggy eyes. Something had to give. I looked around and decided to try an all natural botanical hair color called Light Natural Mountain Color the Grey.
Turns out that it's two bags of powder that has to be mixed with boiling water. But wait, that's not the bad part. Aside from the fact that it smells like canned spinach, it has the consistency of mud with sand mixed in it, complete with grit.
Ok, I'm willing to accept that if it covers the grey, I can put up with a bit of inconvenience and smell. But nooooooooooooooooo. After the biggest waste of an hour in my life (and that's saying alot), I STILL have grey.
meg did this @ 6:09 PM
Friday, April 28, 2006
Girls with toys
Wow, it's been awhile. Sorry. Hope no one told you I was cheating on you over at LJ. *g*
SO... I upgraded to a RAZR phone at lunch. Hey, the Cingular store was right next door to the fish taco place.
Trying to decide which songs to upload for ringtones and cant', so I'm doing the whole mess.
And... I'm going to the firing range next week for the first time in two years. This should be interesting. I think I'll start with the Beretta 9mm.
I guess I like my toys.
Vala had surgery yesterday on her ACL and now is the proud owner of a metal plate in her knee. But, it looks good for her being fully mobie and painfree in a few weeks. They even "scraped" the arthritis out of her knee. Sounds painful, but whatever.
Now we have to figure out how to convince her it is to her best interest to remain on one floor of the house whe we regularly go up and down ourselves. I'll probably sleep upsatirs with her for a few days (our upstairs is actually ground level).
I like Fridays! How about you?
meg did this @ 12:12 PM
Tuesday, April 18, 2006
and if that wasn't enough!!
Also known as "How many questions can Meg answer with a question?"
I figure it's that time again
1. When was the last time you had sex?
With myself or someone else?
2. How do you flush the toilet in public?
With my mind (truthfully, I can't take full credit for this answer, but I loved it.)
3. Do you wear your seatbelt in the car?
Not all the time. Even though I rolled my car once with no seat belt on. I'm tupid.
4. Do you have a crush on someone?
On many someones.
5. Name one thing that you start to get tense about if you are close to running out of it?
The list is long and impressive. Probably TP the most, although I've been known to improvise.
6. What famous person do you (or other people) think you resemble?
Which famous person do you want me to resemble?
7. What is your favourite pizza topping?
9. Do you crack your knuckles?
Just my thumb now and then.
10. What song do you hate the most when it gets stuck in your head?
"Would You Like to Fly in My Beautiful Balloon"
11. Did just mentioning that song make it get stuck in your head?
12. What are your super powers?
I can make it rain wherever I go camping...even if they're in a drought.
13. What is the hardest thing you have faced?
My own stupidity.
14. Where are your car keys?
I have car keys?
15. Whose answers to this questionnaire do you want to hear?
16. What's your most annoying habit?
Interrupting people when they're talking to me.
17. Where did you go on your last vacation?
What's a vacation?
18. If you could punch one person in the nose and get away with it who would it be?
*looks around* I have to pick one?
19. What is your best physical feature?
Legs, or they used to be.
20. What CD is closest to you right now?
Listening to iPod, no CDs. Listening to Robert Plant, though.
21. What three things can always be found in your refrigerator?
Mayo, butter, ketchup. What can I say? We're a condiment family.
22. What superstition do you believe/practise?
Does it count if I pinch someone who says the same thing I do at the same time?
25. Do you talk on your cell phone when you drive?
Unfortunately, yes. And I drive a manual.
26. What would your name have been if you'd been born the opposite gender? If you don't know what your parents would've chosen, what name would you choose for your other-gendered self?
27. What song(s) do you sing most often in the shower?
Time to Go - Black 47 (it's a irish rock-rap)
28. If you could go back or forward in time would you and where would you go?
Yes and yes.
29. What is your favourite Harrison Ford movie?
Who's Harrison Ford?
30. What CD is in your stereo?
I don't have a stereo since Wolfie knocked it on the floor.
31. What OCD qualities do you have?
*blink* *blink* I'm compulsively sarcastic.
32. How many kids do you want to have?
33. If you could kiss anyone famous who would it be?
Female: Angelina Jolie Male: The list is long and distingued. Get in line...
34. Would you really want to kiss someone you didn't know, even if they are famous?
Better than someone I DO know.
35. What do you do when no one is watching?
36. If they made a movie about your life, what actor/actress would be the best for this job?
37. Would you rather die in a blaze of glory or peacefully in your sleep?
peacefully in my sleep when I'm 120 years old.
38. What candy, from when you were a kid, do you miss the most?
39. What is your favourite kid's movie?
40. Favourite musician(s)/bands you've seen in concert?
Jethro Tull, The Chieftains
41. Have you ever been in love?
42. Do you talk to yourself?
No, I talk to my dogs. heh.
43. Is there anybody you just wish would fall off the face of the earth?
meg did this @ 1:36 PM
I'm really trying to post more, but when you have a boring life...well...
But, Em did a cute media player game, so I'm playing too:
Put your music player on shuffle. Press forward for each question. Use the song title as the answer to the question. Post on your blog. Comment back if you post it on your site.
~Will I get far in life?
Sweet Dreams - Patsy Cline
~How do my friends see me?
Kryptonite - 3 Doors Down
~Where will I get married?
I've Always Been Crazy - Waylon Jennings
~What is my best friend’s theme song?
Pour Some Sugar On Me - Def Leppard
~What is the story of my life?
Gonna Be Some Trouble - Wayne Hancock (If that ain't the truth!)
~What was high school like?
Bloody Mary Morning - Willie Nelson
~How can I get ahead in life?
Time Is On My Side - Irma Thomas
~What is the best thing about me?
Crazy - Patsy Cline
~How is today going to be?
Fishing in the Dark - Nitty Gritty Dirt Band
~What is in store for this weekend?
Livin' In America - Black 47
~What song describes my parents?
World Without Tears - Lucinda Williams
Heard It In a Love Song - Marshall Tucker Band
~How is my life going?
Louisiana Saturday Night - Mel McDaniel
~What song will they play at my funeral?
Highway 40 Blues - Ricky Scaggs
~How does the world see me?
Southern Comfort - Shooter Jennings
~Will I have a happy life?
Tall Cool One - Robert Plant
~What do my friends really think of me?
Let's Get Drunk and Be Sombody - Toby Keith
~Do people secretly lust after me?
Up Against the Wall You Redneck Mother - Jerry Jeff Walker
~How can I make myself happy?
Pride and Joy - Stevie Ray Vaughn
~What should I do with my life?
Killer Queen - Queen
~Will I ever have children?
I Love Rock n Roll - Joan Jett (I guess that's a no.)
~What is some good advice?
I Feel Lucky - Mary Chapin Carpenter
~What is my signature dancing song?
Atlantic City - Hank Williams III
~What do I think my current theme song is?
All My Ex's Live in Texas - George Strait (almost all)
~What does everyone else think my current theme song is?
Alcohol - Bare Naked Ladies
~What type of men/women do you like?
Boys from Oklahoma - Cross Canadian Ragweed (I kid you not..I did not pick this, it just came up.)
And, apropo of nothing...don't you think cowboys are really bikers in cowboy hats? Seriously, they have alot in common.
meg did this @ 12:37 PM
Tuesday, April 11, 2006
Pardon me while I spam you
Trying to catch up on blogs I've sort of
ignored been too busy to read and found a couple of interesting links I will share with you. Ain't I sweet?
First off, don't you think this brewery might want to rethink their marketing strategy? Worst Beer Name Ever! The Accidental Hedonist finds the neatest shit!
Second, I fed my post-apocolypse kink with this short story? essay? whatever on how the world might end.
And just now I was searching for some geocaching sights so we can maybe take the dogs out this weekend. On about page 4 of my search results I found a Geocaching for Dummies, and when I went to the Powell's books page, I noticed this one which I don't think I would ever admit to needing. Would you?
meg did this @ 3:13 PM
Wednesday, April 5, 2006
It's really bad when you have to stop using a particular brand/scent of deodorant because it makes you want to break off a chunk and eat it, right? ***
*** Tom's of Maine Lemongrass smells just like the lemon scones at Starbuck's!!
meg did this @ 8:48 AM
Tuesday, April 4, 2006
Listen up People!
There are things of great importance I have to share with you. Bulleted for your reading ease.
* Daylight savings time kicked my BUTT! I can't belive how hard it was to get out of bed and go to work yesterday. And then...then, I had to drink eight (8) cups of coffee to STAY awake. Ugh.
* Dell Computers can kiss my ass! I come out of work yesterday and there's a voicemail from Dell. No it's not an automated message, it was a real person saying how happy they were I chose Dell and just how was that computer doing anyway? Obviously, he didn't get the memo about having to send a tech out when the computer was two weeks old to change the mother board. But, what really left me shaking my head at just who they are hiring these days at Dell was that the last four seconds of the message, when he's saying stuff like "and if you have any questions, plesae go to our Dell site...blah blah blah..." HE'S YAWNING...in my ear...on the phone.
* Sekkrit note to the creator of a geocache location we took the dogs out to last weekend. Um...dude. That spot is a parking lot now.
* Vala misses Boo. I don't remember if I told y'all that or not. She lies out on the porch on Boo's bed and whimpers and won't come in until I make her, even if she's shivering with cold. It's very sad.
* I have just about all my music ripped to the new computer. OMGBBQ!! I never knew I had so much music. Good thing I was able to save that new hard drive out of my old one, so now I actually have a MUSIC SERVER. Do I rock or what?
* I just pre-ordered Toby Keith's new CD which is coming out next week. There's a story behind this. I was up sick about 3 a.m. Saturday night and laying on the couch watching the CMT channel. This dude comes out and sings a song I kinda like and the text at the bottom of the screen says it's from his new album, "White Trash with Money." Well, I HAD to buy it just for the name. Although I do think that song kicked but. Still don't know the name of it.
* I got the Brokeback Mountain DVD and I'm going to make Wolfie watch it.
Currently listening to: "Southern Comfort" - Shooter Jennings (yes, I'm in a country space, apparently, these days.)
meg did this @ 11:06 AM